This three-day Fourth of July weekend was the perfect opportunity to get away to the Kansas and Kentucky farms to put out minerals, game cameras and to put up a couple stands. We were unable to leave until 5:30 p.m. on Friday afternoon and have to be back at work in the concrete jungle Tuesday morning at 8:00 a.m. We were going to be on a fast horse and every minute was going to be jam-packed.

This trip included a pit stop in Russellville, Alabama to pick up one of Richard’s favorite cakes made by Bobbi of Canny Cakes: a coconut pound cake. Bobbi added a cup full of her famous old-fashioned chocolate sauce. I only let Richard talk me into ordering this cake for him because he has asked for one since last fall. Let me tell you, this cake with the chocolate sauce on it is so SINFUL that I felt guilty eating any of it—but I did!

Canny Cakes coconut Pound Cake with old-fashioned chocolate divine and so sinful. Thanks Bobbi.

A 14-hour drive to Kansas straight through the night included 3 gas station stops to top Clyde off with Go-Go juice, visit the bathroom and a quick stretch while the pump was clicking away at dollar signs. We ate our favorite road-trip meal in the cab of the truck; home-cooked roast beef sandwiches, Pringle potato chips and Vita-Water.

We made perfect time, drove straight to the farm, got out of the truck, changed our clothes, laced our work boots up, unloaded Hank off the trailer, loaded up Hank’s flatbed with Trophy Rock, other supplements, and game cameras. A cooler in the front drop basked held ice, water, and Strut & Rut…we were now in working mode.

This is what greeted us when we drove up in the driveway at the Kansas farm. I had to laugh when I said "these are not the horns I had in mind."

Scouting the property and finding some really neat trails.

Richard looking at the map deciding on stand placement.

Richard and I discussing an ideal stand placement.

It didn’t take but a couple of hours for it to get hot and we were wrenched with sweat. We scouted looking for areas to place stands for the coming season. Before we knew it the clock on Crackie read 1:45 p.m. We needed to ride into town, check into our hotel, take a shower and grab a nap before meeting with some friends for dinner.

We had such a great time at dinner laughing over hunting stories and enjoying great company. We ate at Five 21 in the Oread, Lawrence, Kansas; home of the University of Kansas Jayhawks. After dinner we rode the elevator up to the 8th floor and took two short flights of stairs to The Nest; a balcony that overlooked the University of Kansas Memorial Stadium and Campus. What a treat!!

The menu from Five 21 at the Oread in Lawrence, Kansas.

University of Kansas Memorial Stadium from the balcony of The Nest at the Oread. Home of the Jayhawks!!

View of the University of Kansas campus from The Nest at the Oread, Lawrence, KS

We were back at out hotel and in bed by 9:30 p.m. for a much-needed nights sleep. I had the alarm set for 6:30 a.m., we still had several things to do on our list before leaving for Kentucky.

Sunday morning the alarm went off and we were up packing bags, loading up Clyde and on our way back to the farm. It was drizzling off and on and the thunder rumbled in the distance. We had a stack of Posted signs to post, a stand to put up, a game camera to put out and one more area we wanted to scout before leaving.

Trying to beat the rain was a losing battle...we didn't let it stop us--so in a sense we actually did beat the weather.

One of beautiful creeks that runs through the area.

Richard showing me the property line and suggested stand locations.

Richard posting No Tresspassing signs.

Me, posting No Trespassing signs near the right of way.

We made record time getting everything done by skipping lunch and ignoring the rain. By 3:30 p.m. we were back at the truck loading Hank up and securing everything in the truck bed and on the trailer. We changed out of our soaking wet clothing, quickly made roast beef sandwiches on the tailgate and grabbed a drink from the cooler. We were on our way to Kentucky by 4:00 p.m. Matilda the GPS read that we would be at our destination just after midnight. That will give us enough sleep to hit the ground running tomorrow morning. I hope our visit to the Kentucky farm is just as productive as the visit to the Kansas farm was.

This is NOT the bone I had in mind when I had hoped I found some scouting.

Preparing for the season is always an exciting time for us. It is all about the anticipation and anxiety of what the season might bring; it is worth all the effort.

Have a Happy Fourth of July. Be safe, think about the military fighting for our freedom, past and present. Please say a prayer for those families that cannot share the holiday with their loved ones and for those that can, share some time with your friends and family.

I don't think this is a dandelion...but if it is, it is the biggest one I have ever seen.